Friday, May 9, 2008

Contradictions

Guess what, dear readers! I have a holiday to talk about! And no, it’s not Teacher Appreciation Day or Take Your Grownup to Lunch Day. There’s a very important holiday that the boys recently celebrated in school, one that required nearly two weeks of preparation: Earth Day.

The good news, of course, is that the kids learned how important it is to be a steward of the environment. They learned about all the garbage that imperils the ocean ecosystem. They learned a catchy tune in music class about recycling. And they even informed their father about the pollution he was creating as he started up the gas-powered lawnmower.

The bad news is that they used nearly 30 reams of paper to do their Earth Day craft projects.

This contradiction is just one of many the boys have experienced in kindergarten. And, of course, I am wildly entertained by these contradictions. For instance, their recent character education lesson on “compassion” coincided so perfectly with the creation of a new “No Kissing” rule. Apparently it’s important to be kind to others, but not so kind that your slobbery little lips cross paths with your neighbor’s cheek.

So you can imagine my amusement as the Earth Day festivities ended on Tuesday and were replaced by a large unit on lumber on Wednesday. No joke. The teacher sent home a note asking us to take our child to visit a sawmill (!) “to see lots of wood in various stages from tree to finished product.”

One thing I have noticed over the years is the curious corporate sponsorship of “environmental science” curriculum packages. For example, last quarter one of my students brought in a curriculum package his district uses as part of their middle school “environmental learning” unit. The set of materials, called Caretakers All, is sponsored by the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association. What I love about this curriculum (besides the fact that I learned all about the scary things made out of cows: shaving cream, lipstick, capsules for medicine…) is that it offers some particularly baffling activities. Here’s one of my favorites:

Have students complete this sentence to show their awareness.

I’m glad the farmer is a good caretaker of animals because…..

(Sample good answer: I like hamburgers!)

Huh.

Anyway, I now know more than I ever expected to know about lumber, because I agreed to be a chaperone on the boys’ field trip to the Center for Wooden Boats. I can’t really explain how I got myself involved in this, but it had something to do with two matching freckly-faced kids and some serious begging. The result was a long ride on a school bus and then another journey in a wooden umiak (basically a tippy native Alaskan rowboat) with 22 of my favorite snot-nosed kids.

When I agreed to participate on this trip, I first had to sign a form stating that I would not, under any conditions, sell drugs to the children. This was a foil in my plan. See, I had this idea that I could sell each of the kids a double-dose of Benadryl and then go for a wild joyride on the bus.

But instead, I had two jobs. The first involved holding a small boy who was deathly afraid that our boat was going to be swallowed by a shark. The tour guide/boat captain/lumber educator tried to reassure him that the water was so polluted that it contained no living creatures, but the kid was inconsolable.

My second job was to help the young people build some small wooden boats with hammers, hand drills, and assorted other tools. I will admit that comforting little kids is something that I do somewhat naturally. But carpentry? Uh, this is a bit out of my skill set. Besides, I’m not so sure that giving kindergarteners unlimited use of woodworking implements is such a great idea. After all, the “No Whacking Your Classmate With a Hammer” rule was never officially stated, not even during Compassion Week.

It all turned out OK. No one jumped off the dock on my watch. No one got eaten by a shark. And no one got hammered (not even me, though I did make a joke about how good it would be for the chaperones to get some free cocktails. This joke was not well-received).

I will not, however, be going on any further field trips. Nope. No way. The power of cute freckly faces only worked this time. Manipulate me once, shame on you. Manipulate me twice, shame on me…

(Addendum: I am scheduled to chaperone the class trip to the beach on June 5.)


4 comments:

Phthor Quiddity said...

No comments yet, so it's time to uncork an unpopular opinion to stir the pot: Earth Day sucks. No presents or candles or anything. Just preachy tips.

It seems like some kind of diet Wiccan thing... the point is to celebrate the dirt clod we occupy but it's soooo non-specific. We recycle because someone makes money off of it. If we had to take the can back to the factory, rather than wait for the $4/gallon dumptruck to come get it for us, the eco-tastic zeal would quickly fade. I say, bring on the pentagrams and pimply boy Goths if you're gonna revere the biosphere. Enough with the smelly hippies.

jennifer said...

But if there weren't gas-guzzling recycling trucks, my kids would not have had such a fascinating source of entertainment when they were toddlers. We are also the proud owners of FOUR toy recycling trucks (front loader, rear loader, and two side loaders).

Jennifer BC said...

I finally reset my password so I can comment again- phew!
Anyway....

Earth Day, contradictory? Yup. Waddya expect from a kumbaya singing, sit-in sitting, hippie protester that murders his girlfriend and hides her body in a trunk in his closet? Okay, so maybe Ira Einhorn (AKA the Unicorn Killer) only claimed to be largely responsible for Earth Day. But if it were true, it would help explain the contradiction (and besides, it made for a great 1999 TV movie!)

jennifer said...

Actually, you no longer need a password to comment here. Just trying to free up the love.

JennBC, your brain is filled with a stack of truly bizarre facts. I never knew you were a fan of 1990s Lifetime Movies of the Week. ;)